4.10.2014

SPRING TIME THAI CURRY


I had been eyeing Heidi's cookbook for a little while now. After falling for her blog and online store, buying the cookbook seemed like the natural next step, right? I resisted for a while, telling myself that I really didn't need more books in the kitchen. N was ordering something off Amazon and needed to hit the free-shipping quota. PERFECT. When the book finally arrived, this recipe seemed like a fabulous place to start - I had just bought my first asparagus of the season. How timely.


SPRING TIME THAI CURRY // serves 6

I often find curry takes too much time to prepare for a week night - not this one! Its super quick to make and the flavour really pull threw, even tastier as leftovers the next day.

Adapted from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day

Ingredients:

2 tsp coconut oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cups snow peas, cut into thirds
1/2 cauliflower, chopped
10-12 asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
2 chicken breasts (or 8 oz tofu)
2/3 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp red curry paste
1/2 cup water

rice
peanuts, to garnish

What to do:

Combine the curry paste with a spoon of coconut milk. Stir to combine and set aside.

In a large pot or dutch oven, heat 1 tsp coconut oil over medium heat. Cook the chicken, browning on each side, and set aside.

Reusing the same pot, heat the remaining oil. Add the onion and sauté until they are translucent.

Add the chicken and curry paste back to the pot. Stir to coat everything, then add the rest of coconut milk and the remaining veggies.

Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the vegetables are cooked to your liking (I liked my crunchy, ~5 minutes).

Add the water, stir, and taste. Add more coconut milk or curry paste if you'd like.

Serve over a bed of rice with a sprinkle of crushed peanuts.