7.23.2014

ALL THE SEEDS AND THINGS GRANOLA


I do my very best to make a fresh batch of granola every week. For a while, I was experimenting with new combinations every few weeks, but once I found my go-to recipe, it was too delicious to keep shopping around. However, I decided to dive back into the fun of making granola this week and aim for something lighter, crunchier and slightly less sweet -- to complement all the gorgeous summer fruit and berries around town right now.

It so happens that I picked the hottest night of the summer to whip up this week's batch, so I found myself out on the back deck barbecuing granola - yup, that's a thing. Whoever said barbecues can't do everything is seriously mistaken.



ALL THE SEEDS AND THINGS GRANOLA // makes 3 cups

I describe the bbq technique below, but if you're using an oven, follow the typical granola baking rule - spread mixture evenly onto a parchment lined baking tray (or two), and bake at 325 for 20 minutes, flipping at 10.

Heat grill to medium low, hovering between 300-350.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup rye flakes
1/2 cup raw millet
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 T sesame seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger

2 T brown sugar
2 T maple syrup
2 T water
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

What to do:

Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and use your hands to toss everything together.

In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, water and coconut oil.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and mix well to combine.

Evenly spread the mixture onto a disposable aluminum tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, shaking and rotating the tray every 5 minutes to avoid burning.

When lightly toasted and crispy, remove from heat and let cool completely before storing in an air tight container.